11 October, 2013

Friday Favourite - Molasses Butter



There are a ridiculous number of happy moments and miniature squeals of glee in my head on repeat since my latest trip to Nova Scotia. They keep me happy. One moment, one memory that I've acted on nearly daily since then is the molasses butter.

Never heard of it? Neither had I. Pictou Lodge served up little bowls of molasses butter with their biscuits instead of your average, boring bread basket. And it was awesome.

So awesome that I accosted the Chef Thomas one morning on his way into work and begged for some at my breakfast in an hour and he kindly obliged me. So awesome that I've made it three times in the 10 days I've been home. So awesome that it takes all your power to not eat it straight from the bowl with a shiny spoon.

I have no idea how they made it, but here is what I've been doing.

Molasses Butter

1/2 cup salted butter (unsalted if you prefer, but I like it better with salted)
1-2 TBSP Blackstrap molasses (use fancy if that is what you have, but you will probably want more molasses then)

Whip the butter. Add the molasses. Whip until evenly incorporated.

So far our favourite way is indeed on biscuits. But I can tell you that it tastes just fine on a muffin or some fresh bread. And, in case you were wondering, it makes a wicked grilled cheese sandwich. Substitute for regular butter on the outside of your sandwich. The edges caramelize and the molasses bring a depth of unreal flavour to the table.

4 comments:

elle said...

oh my! This might not be a good thing, Cheryl! Sounds absolutely yummy! :O This aught to set gluten free bread back on the track. ;)

Jessica said...

oh my god. this sounds amazing, I'd probably eat the whole thing by myself before anyone noticed I made it. Thanks for sharing, I'll file this one away for a really desperate snacking day.. :)

elizabeth said...

i love this stuff! my grandmother made it and i had it on fresh biscuits every day the summer i spent in P.E.I. yuuuuuuum!

Carla said...

That sounds good. I might put that on the table with my rolls for Thanksgiving to start, I'm sure my boys will love it!